Friday, September 2, 2011

A Simple Supper for One - Quinoa with Teriyaki Broccoli and Spinach

I do love cooking a big meal for my boyfriend and I but every once in awhile I get the house to myself and am able to cook whatever I want, no questions asked!
Tonight I made quinoa with broccoli and spinach mixed with some herbs and teriyaki sauce, it was flavourful and kept me full for a long time.
This can definitely be doubled for two people or keep it as is and use it for a side dish!

Quinoa with Teriyaki Broccoli and Spinach

Created by me!
  • 1 cup Water
  • 1/2 cup Quinoa
  • 1-2 Tbsp Olive Oil
  • 1/4 Red Onion - diced
  • 2 cloves Garlic  -chopped finely
  • 1/2 cup Broccoli - cut into small pieces
  • 1/2 cup or more Spinach
  • Various herbs on hand  - I used Basil and Chives - chopped finely
  • 2-3 Tbsp Terryaki sauce
********************************************************
In a small saucepan bring water to a boil, add quinoa and reduce heat to a simmer, cover and let cook for 10-12 minutes or until all water as been absorbed.
Meanwhile, in a skillet on medium-low heat add olive oil until warm then add onions, cook until soft.
Add the chopped broccoli to the onions, mix together and let cook 5 minutes, until the broccoli starts to get tender but still crisp.
Add garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes more.
Pour in the terryaki sauce and add the spinach, mixing gently until spinach begins to wilt.
Take the skillet off the heat and add the herbs, stirring gently
Serve the quinoa in a bowl and add broccoli mixture on top!


Enjoy :)!

No comments:

Post a Comment