Tuesday, January 31, 2012

No-Knead Bread

There once was a time that I was afraid of dough. Maybe it was yeast or all the kneading that was required to form the dough... then what happens if it doesn't rise? What happens when you bake it and take it out then it falls flat? I just spent all that time kneading and letting it rise and I don't have anything to show for it!?!!!


These were all the reasons why I did not go near recipes for homemade bread, pizza, begals... anything that required yeast and kneading, I steered clear of from the beginning.

Then one day I found this recipe, I looked at my bag of flour and then myself in the mirror and said "Let's DO this!!"



I was so encouraged to finally tackle my fear of baking bread because this wonderful recipe required  NO KNEADING! My one big concern - total eliminated! It's there in the title! Kneading not needed!! SCORE!

I broke out the flour, yeast, water and salt, put them all together and waited.. for 20 hours.


When I peeled back that dish cloth to reveal my dough had risen, well my friends... I felt like I could take on the world!!
I folded it into a neat little ball, tucked it back in for a 2 hour nap to rise some more.


Then I placed it into the prepared pot and put it in the oven. I was sweating.. fingers and toes were crossed... I sat in my kitchen waiting... and then 45 minutes later - all my fears were conquered - a beautiful golden brown rustic looking loaf of bread came out of my oven!

I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!


This recipe is all over the Internet but the site I found it on was SteamyKitchen. If you've ever been afraid of bread or think it is too much work. Please try this recipe!! I am happy to say since completing this recipe I have gone on to make pizza dough and begals, which required kneading, and they turned out AWESOME!

No-Knead Bread

3 cups flour
1/4 tsp instant yeast
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups warm water

Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl with a wooden spoon until it all comes together. Don't expect it to look pretty, it won't. Cover with cling wrap or a clean dish towel and let sit for 12-20 hours.

With a wet spatula and wet hands (best to have a bowl of water handy to re-dip if needed!) scrape the dough out of the bowl onto a lightly floured counter. Fold ends of dough over a few times to form a ball shape. Dust flour over a dish towel and place the dough seam side down on it. Place in bowl and fold towel over and let rest for 2 hours.

30 minutes before the 2 hours rest is up, turn on your oven to 450F and put a covered pot (dutch oven) in to heat up.

When ready take towel out of the bowl and turn it over and let dough fall into the pot, using your hands to get the dough off the towel. Place cover on and bake for 30 minutes, take cover off and bake another 10-20 minutes or until golden brown.

Take bread out and let cool on wire rack.

YOU DID IT!!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment