Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Baked Falafel

These are not your traditional felafel's.


I love felafel's but dislike that they are deep fried. I am trying to stay away from deep fried food (it's hard.. everything tastes so good deep fried!) so when I came across this recipe I was super psyched to try it out!

The only thing I did differently from the original recipe is instead of mashing the beans and adding the other ingredients I put everything in the food processor and it chopped it all for me!! I'm sure this gave it a different texture but found the flavours to be amazing!

Add it to a pita with lettuce, tomato and hummus! Or if you are unprepared like me.. with couscous and broccoli (so random!) but it was a delicious meal.

I should note that these kept well for the next few days, I brought them to work, reheated them and had them in a wrap for lunch!

Ingredients - Adapted slightly from -  Shutterbean

1 15 ounce can garbanzo beans (aka - chickpeas!)
1 small onion - roughly chopped
2-3 garlic cloves
3 tablespoons fresh parsley
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Drain and rinse the garbanzo beans. Put in food processor and add the rest of the ingredients. Pulse until well combined, but not completely smooth. Form into small balls, about 1 1/2 in diameter and slightly flatten. Place onto an oiled baking pan.
Bake for 15 minutes on each side, until nicely browned (since it’s baked, only the part actually touching the pan will be browned and crispy).

ENJOY this healthy, vegetarian, vegan, filling, protein packed MEAL!


6 comments:

  1. I'm buying the ingredients and I'm going to try and make these this week. I love falafal so I'm excited that it sounds so easy to make. Reuben loves anything in a wrap so I hope he likes it too:) I'll let you know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy them Irene!!

      Delete
    2. Well...I finally made them and they were sooo easy and sooo scrumptious!:) Thanks.

      Delete
  2. I love falafel!
    This recipe looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete