Friday, August 17, 2012

Natural Living Friday- Deep Conditioning Hair Treatment

Have you heard about Coconut Oil?
If you've hung out with me, you're probably sick of hearing about it.
If you are into natural living, I'm sure you've run into an article or video about it somewhere on the Internet.
The thing is, if you have ever used Coconut Oil, whether for beauty or cooking, it's hard NOT to rave about it!!
Coconut Oil has an incredibly long list of uses, which I won't get into right now. Maybe I'll save that for a future Friday post.
The reason I love Coconut Oil so much is because it's extremely healthy for both the inside and outside of your body.

Today I'm sharing with you the best deep conditioning treatment I have used on my hair.
This is a perfect time of year to do a treatment, being out in the sun or swimming in chlorine pools can be damaging to your hair, if it seems a little dry or is lacking some softness and shine, give this a try!

1 to 2 tbsp of Extra Virgin Coconut Oil is all you need! (depending on how long/thick your hair is) -Nutiva is my favourite brand!!

Place the oil in small bowl, take a small amount in your hands and rub it around to turn it into a liquid.

Start applying the oil gently to the ends of your hair, working your way up, taking more oil as needed.

Note: your ends will be more damaged than the rest of your hair so more oil is needed on the ends then on top near the roots.

Once your have the desired amount in your hair, take a small amount of oil and begin massaging it into your roots. This helps to reduce itchy, dry scalp, dandruff as well as promotes hair growth. Massage for as long as you want.

Two options: Wrap you hair in saran wrap or a shower cap to keep the oil warm OR braid loosely or put in loose bun on top of head.  Leave on for 20 minutes to overnight (depending how deep of treatment you want!)

Washing it out can be tricky, depending on your shampoo and hair length/type. You may need to shampoo more than once, my hair is medium to long and thin, I usually do two shampoos, the second one focusing more on the back and under side of my hair as it can come out oily if I don't.

I let my hair air dry to avoid more heat damage. Once it dries it is SO soft, manageable, shiny and soft (oops, already said that, but it's worth saying twice!)

Treat yo'self this weekend!! You and that gorgeous head of hair deserve it!


Happy Weekend! :D!

No comments:

Post a Comment