Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Buttermilk Pancakes

There are certain recipes that people have that are their "go-to's". A recipe that they have found, over years of trying others, that works and is perfectly in line with what they were searching for from the beginning.

Go-to's are tried and true recipes that they know are crowd pleasers, recipes that are executed properly every time they are made and they are recipes that make that person proud to serve to people they love.

There have been many Sunday mornings spent with me in the kitchen trying a new pancake recipe. In the few years I have been cooking I have google searched and tried numerous recipes, but each one lacked that certain taste I was going for.
Over the past few months I have found myself frequently visiting Joy the Baker's website, and by frequent I mean almost daily. Not only are her recipes and photos beautiful, her writing style and tidbits on life are inspiring to me. In the time I've spent browsing her recipes on her site and in her cookbook, I have come across a lot of pancake recipes. This girl know her pancakes, from sweet to savory, she has all the bases covered.

I decided to try one of the first pancake recipes she posted, her Milk Chocolate Buttermilk Pancakes, although I omitted the chocolate chips. I've never been a big fan of chocolate for breakfast, I'm not normal, I know.

This is now my go-to pancake recipe. These pancakes are simple, they come together quickly, easy to improvise if you don't have buttermilk on hand (I will list options below) and are the perfect pancake I have been searching for all these years. I truly believe the key is buttermilk. I won't make pancakes without it from now on.

Buttermilk Pancakes - slightly adapted from Joy the Baker

Makes enough for 4 people, I usually split the recipe in half for just Ryan and I

2 eggs
2 cups flour
2 tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 cups buttermilk
4 tbsp butter, melted and cooled
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

In a large bowl beat eggs. Add buttermilk, butter, vanilla and mix well. Add in flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix well until mostly smooth.
Heat a frying pan or griddle to medium heat. Spray with cooking spray or add a little oil.
Add approximately 2 tablespoons of batter to the pan (or griddle). Cook on the first side until bubble start to form and pop.Gently lift the pancake up to check colour and make sure it's not overcooking. Flip over and cook the other side until golden brown. Transfer cooked pancakes into a 200F oven on a heat proof plate to keep warm while you cook the remaining pancakes.

Serve with real maple syrup and fresh fruit of your choice.

Enjoy!

* Buttermilk substitutions *

Lemon and milk - for 1 cup of buttermilk. Add 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice to a measuring cup, pour in milk to the 1 cup level, stir and let sit for two minutes.

Yogurt and milk - for 1 cup of buttermilk. Mix 3/4 cup plain yogurt with 1/4 cup of milk.






No comments:

Post a Comment